Successful Installation Leads have strong communication skills, a desire to mentor and lead, and can work well with others. ACER Leads demonstrate a “whatever it takes” work ethic and dedication to completing assignments, and a willingness to take on the tasks required to accomplish successful project completion.
Installation Leads will orchestrate the execution of outside plant fiber installation and construction plans as directed by the company. Leads work as an extension of ACER Operations Management, attending to the specific details and needs of projects, Installation Technicians, and Apprentices. Examples of tasks that Installation Leads are responsible for include but are not limited to, ensuring that each crew has the labor, training, equipment, and materials required to complete their work safely and efficiently. This includes the oversight of subcontractors on behalf of the Company and coordinating the completion of loading, driving, delivery, digging, and the removal and/or placement of various sizes and weights of construction materials and equipment. Lead candidates must be capable of working in all temperatures, climates, and weather conditions, and be able to pass background and drug screen.
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
- Operate construction equipment / utilize standard telecommunications tools.
- Operate hydraulic aerial lifts and ladders mounted to trucks.
- Prepare and assemble various line apparatus required for work being performed.
- Read and interpret engineering plans.
- Dig using shovels and other mechanical tools.
- Oversee the installation and maintenance of underground and aerial telecommunications cabling.
- Climb into and out of equipment (trucks, cars, backhoes, trenchers, etc.).
- Assist in the estimating of project bids.
- Work in either congested or remote areas.
- Maintain a direct visual and audible contact with other crewman and all moving or stationary persons/vehicles/objects to ensure safe coordination of movement.
- Flag property or worksite restoration.
- Promote and demonstrate safe working habits/conditions according to all regulations, company procedures, and company policies.
- Assist with loading of various materials onto trucks and/or trailers.
- Operate vehicle, following all safety and traffic regulations.
- Operate chain hoists.
- Use equipment to install ground rods and anchors.
- Maintain proper inventory on vehicle based on work assignment.
- Keep work areas clean and organized. Keep detailed record of work activity.
- Safely use hand tools and equipment such as; wrenches, drills, ladders, lanyards, saws, lashers, climbing hooks, and more.
- Safely operate mechanized equipment such as; bucket trucks, heavy equipment, machinery, and more.
- Set up a safety perimeter using signage, cones, and/or safety barriers.
- Work safely aloft using climbing hooks and ladders.
- Perform and provide direction for general installation/construction work.
- 5 years of experience working in an outside plant/construction environment.
- 5 years of construction experience, preferably in the telecommunications industry.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
- Possess a valid driver’s license or be eligible and willing to obtain the required license for the position, and a good driving record.
- Understanding of separation and clearance regulations.
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment during all times of the year.
- Ability to work varied schedule (on call, evening and weekends as needed).
- Ability to read and understand maps, drawings and diagrams for project build process.
- Ability to climb poles, ladders and use bucket trucks as needed.
- Must be able to work at heights of 20+’ feet.
- Must have high school diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of established aerial and underground cabling installation procedures and techniques.
- Must complete and pass assigned training as directed.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, employees, etc.
- Regular and timely attendance is an essential function of this position.
- 2 years prior experience leading project teams in an outside plant or communications wiring environment.
- 2 years previous construction experience leading teams, preferably in the telecommunications industry
- Demonstrated ability to read prints and interpret utility maps to identify the type and size of underground utilities.
- Must be able to perform the above at least 8 hours per day 5 days per week. May be required to work over-time; after hours; on weekend, for emergencies or on-call.
- Duties outlined in this position will require the employee to stand, crouch, sit, use hands and fingers to handle or feel, as well as reaching, crawling, crouching, lifting, holding, or stooping while on shift.
- Employees in this job classification may be exposed to dust, fumes, or other airborne pathogens.
- Ability to work while wearing safety boots, safety glasses, safety vest and hardhat.
- Ability to work in adverse weather such as wind, rain, and dust, as well as adverse driving conditions including wet roads and fog.
- Able to lift/carry 50 lbs. regularly and up to 100 lbs. as needed with or without assistance.
- Follow all safety rules at all times.
- Shall not engage in unsafe acts.
- Expected to attend and participate in all safety meetings and training.
- Use all prescribed safety equipment that is required to safety to do the job at hand.
- Shall report unsafe acts or conditions to his immediate Supervisor or Safety Supervisor.
- Shall report any and all injuries, accidents, and/or incidents immediate Supervisor.
Shall be a safe worker on and off the job.
Success rate of job completion at or below estimated cost; ability to support and amend the operations plan in relation to efficiencies and safety; ability to provide the training and guidance required by employees; ability to match employees competency and skill requirements to their respective role within the operational plan; public safety/utility hit record; employee safety record; ability to adhere to internal processes; ability to generate/contribute creative solutions; ability to effectively communicate with management, operations and finance; feedback on customer satisfaction.