Successful Outside Plant Fiber Splicer(s) will possess strong communications skills & be able to work well with others, have a “whatever it takes” work ethic and dedication to completing assignments, and a willingness in some instances to take on outside and inside plant telecom construction tasks other than splicing related activities. In addition to the traits listed, a Splice Technician must demonstrate a working knowledge of telecommunications network structure, familiarity with fiber optic cable(s) and their function, experience in various OSP and ISP work, and a demonstrated aptitude for reading splice diagrams and fiber matrices. Occasional off hours (nights or weekends) work may be required.
Skills required include bi-directional testing and troubleshooting abilities, knowledge of OTDR and fusion splicing equipment functions, installation of new splice cases, working inside existing splice cases with active fibers, and splice enclosures. Preparation of the cables and equipment for splicing, capable of accomplishing single and/or large count fusion splicing, installing splice closures, and accomplishing ring cuts.
Position is based out of Daytona Beach, FL
- Read understand, interpret, input, and analyze data with a high degree of accuracy and completeness
- Operate technical equipment, including but not limited to computer, OTDR and fusion splicing equipment for single and ribbon fiber, and understand the functioning thereof
- Complete low level and high-level labor-intensive tasks as well as operation of assigned construction equipment (Bucket Truck)
- Complete daily production reports to document work performed; track and communicate daily production and materials
- Use hand tools, ladders, and equipment to assist in the completion of an assigned project
- Clean and maintain supplies, tools, equipment, and work areas to ensure compliance with safety regulations
- Lift and manipulate splice enclosures and other plant and equipment
- Work safely, with or without supervision
- Comfortably work in cramped and/or enclosed spaced for extended periods of time
- Work aloft, either from a ladder or aerial lift device
- Additional duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of directly related experience
- Position is based out of Daytona Beach, FL. Travel may be required
- Combination of work experience and/or technical training in an industry-related trade certification or education program
- Excellent manual dexterity
- Working knowledge of health, safety and environmental protection practices and procedures as they apply to related construction processes
- Proficient in the use of hand tools and equipment utilized in splicing fiber
- Ability to operate company vehicles and properly tow/back-up trailers
- Solid understanding of current construction practices and familiarity with construction documents
- Proven ability to guide safe work practices in a high-pressure environment while maintaining project quality, schedule, and budget
- Ability to communicate clearly and collaborate with multiple project stakeholders, interpret stakeholders’ needs, and identify solutions
- Must be capable of handling logistics and crew assignments
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience operating and performing work in a bucket truck, man-lift, etc.
- Must successfully complete pre-access drug and alcohol requirements
- Must possess and maintain a clean driver’s abstract and valid full-driver’s license appropriate to the requirements of the vehicle being driven
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks, including the ability to lift 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions (hot, cold, rain and wind) and perform work on uneven surfaces
- Ability to work with little supervision while following safety policies and procedures, wearing required personal protective equipment, and adding to a safe and positive team environment is a must
Want to know more? Contact us today.